The BNE story began in Fayetteville, N.C. in 1962 when Carleton Noell and his two entrepreneurial nephews, Mayo and Nick Boddie, opened one of the first Hardee's restaurants. Fast food was a relatively new concept back then, but BNE’s commitment to friendly service and great-tasting charbroiled burgers established it as one of the industry’s leaders.
Despite our rapid growth and expansion throughout the Carolinas, Virginia, and Kentucky, BNE has maintained a close-knit family culture in which every individual is treated with dignity and respect.
Today, BNE operates more than 330 Hardee's restaurants and is the popular brand's largest franchisee. Our business also includes BNE Land & Development, the company's commercial land ventures and resort property development; Rose Hill Plantation, the Boddie family’s unique site for weddings and other events; Rose Hill Farm, a splendid working farm with more than 200 head of cattle, a skeet range and farming community; and an additional restaurant concept, The Highway Diner.
For a gallery of images of BNE's past 50 years, click here.
We lost our colleague, friend and company co-founder Nick Boddie who passed away at age 84 on Dec. 2, 2011. As Boddie-Noell celebrates our 50th year, we recall the contributions and vision provided by Nick, without whom our company would not be what it is today.
Click here to read a special edition of The Enterpriser on the life of Nick Boddie.
Boddie-Noell Timeline: The first 50 years
- January 20, 1962
- Boddie-Noell opens its first Hardee's franchise in Fayetteville from 6 p.m. to 12:15 a.m. Total day's sales: $178.42
- January 7, 1967
- BNE moves out of two-room office and into new headquarters on Sunset Avenue
- January 20, 1962
- July 1974
- Mayo, Nick and Carleton attend the grand opening of BNE's 100th Hardee's in Hampton, VA
- BNE introduces homemade biscuits. Many BNE Hardee's begin adding drive-thru windows
- Mayo Boddie purchases Rose Hill, the ancestral home in Nash County lost during the Depression
- BNE suffers the loss of Chairman and Co-founder Carleton Noell on April 23
- July 1974
- BNE moves into current home office
- BNE's first annual Biscuit Bake-Off to select the company best biscuit maker
- BNE Land & Development established
- BNE introduces Fresh & Juicy Fried Chicken to the Hardee's menu and offers 8 pcs. for $5.99
- BNE Land & Development opens the Currituck Club on the Outer Banks
- BNE opens its first Texas Steakhouse & Saloon in Rocky Mount
- BNE introduces a 1950s-style dining retro experience with the Highway Diner
- Mayo & Nick Boddie named NC Restaurant Association's Restaurateurs of the Year
- BNE Land & Development opens Marshes Light development in Manteo on the Outer Banks
- BNE opens its first Moe's Southwest Grill
- Rose Hill expands with addition of Nathan Hall
- BNE Land & Development opens Arlington Place near Oriental and New Bern
- BNE Acquires Cafe Carolina and Bakery
- BNE purchases 34 more Hardee's in NC from Hardee's Food Systems
- BNE Land & Development launches Viniterra and the New Kent Winery in VA
- Hand-Breaded Chicken Tenders™ tested by BNE then rolled out nationally by Hardee's
- East Carolina Council of the Boy Scouts renames Pamlico County youth facilities as Camp Boddie
- BNE suffers the loss of co-founder Nick Boddie on Dec. 2
- Boddie-Noell celebrates its first 50 years
- Introduce Fresh Baked Buns